At Harrow Lodge Primary School, we believe that high-quality Design and Technology lessons will engage and inspire children to think innovatively and develop creative procedural understanding. Through our topic scheme, Cornerstones, we ensure that the progressive development of knowledge and skills covers all aspects of the National Curriculum for Design and Technology. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful and innovative problem solvers, both as individuals and part of a team.
The core curriculum for Design and Technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop creative, technical and imaginative thinking which enables pupils to develop confidence to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Can talk about how things work using technical vocabulary.
- Apply a growing body of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make prototypes and products for a wider range of users.
- Are able to select appropriate tools and techniques when making a product, whilst following safe procedures.
- Develop an understanding of technological processes and products, their manufacture and their contribution to our society.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products, and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.