At Harrow Lodge Primary School, we follow a broad and balanced Art & Design curriculum that builds on previous learning and provides both support and challenge for learners. Through our topics we ensure that progression of skills covers all aspects of the Art & Design curriculum and children’s development in creativity, independence, judgement and self-reflection. They will in turn be able to talk confidently about their work when sharing their work with others.
In our school we recognise that:
- Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity.
- A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more vigorous understanding of art and design.
- They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, wealth and creativity of our nation.
The core curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Art and Design Long Term Plan 2021-2022