Harrow Lodge Equality Statement
At Harrow Lodge Primary School, we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background. We aim to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity and ability to participate fully in school life.
We tackle discrimination through the positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which champions respect for all.
At Harrow Lodge Primary School, we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
Objective 1: Ensure that children from all protected groups have equal access to the full range of opportunities offered by the school.
To achieve this objective we ensure that:
- All lessons and resources are differentiated to overcome barriers to learning.
- Close monitoring of attainment and progress of all protected groups across the school is carried out. Where significant gaps emerge, interventions are put in place to narrow the gap.
- Groups that are underrepresented attending clubs, extra-curricular activities are identified.
- Protected groups are invited to attend clubs, extra-curricular activities and take part in school trips.
- Close monitoring of children attending clubs and extracurricular activities is carried out.
Objective 2: Provide opportunities for the school and wider community to learn about and celebrate cultural and religious differences.
To achieve this objective we :
- Celebrate cultural/religious events throughout the year to increase pupil awareness and understanding of different communities e.g. Diwali, Chinese New Year.
- Invite visitors from a range of religions to talk to children in RE/assembly.
- Focus assemblies on particular events.
- Visit places of worship that serve our communities.
- Promote diversity in the school environment.
- Ensure that displays in classrooms and corridors promote diversity in terms of race, gender, ethnicity, religion and disability.