At Harrow Lodge Primary, the teaching of Spanish is underpinned by our core values R.E.A.C.H.
- Respect for diversity, other languages and cultures
- Empathy through understanding other people’s lives, discovering commonalities and challenging prejudice
- Aspiration by developing cognitive skills and academic performance in a foreign language as well as improving career prospects
- Confidence to attempt something new and speaking in front of others in a safe and supportive environment
- Honesty by recognising needs and asking for help
We aim to give our children the opportunity to:
- develop the experience of language acquisition and encourage curiosity about languages.
- develop their linguistic skills, make progress and achieve
- develop their understanding of what they hear and read, as well as their ability to express themselves in speech and writing.
- extend their knowledge of how language works and explore differences between Spanish and English.
- strengthen their sense of identity through learning about culture in Spanish speaking countries and comparing it with their own.
- reach a recognised level of competence.
All classes will have access to a very high-quality foreign languages curriculum using the Language Angels scheme of work and resources. This will progressively develop pupil skills in foreign languages from sporadic games and language introduction in KS1 through regularly taught and well-planned weekly lessons in KS2.
Children will progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary, language skills and grammatical knowledge organised around age-appropriate topics and themes – building blocks of language into more complex, fluent and authentic language.